Sunday, August 21, 2011

Homemade Hummus

One of my guilty pleasures.

If I ever go to your house, do NOT, I repeat, do NOT offer me any hummus because not only will I become a recluse in a corner with the bowl, but I’ll finish it all up too.

Homemade Hummus

I don’t mind buying at the store but I try my best to make whatever I like at home, I think it’s so much healthier for you and you don’t have all those preservatives and chemicals either.

This recipe comes from one of my blog readers, she has a really good yummy blog with amazing recipes, especially if you like healthy food and green living.  Check out Whole.New.Mom. 

One of the reasons I fell in love with this recipe is because my kids do NOT like tahini at all, so this one was perfect for us.

Quick note:  I used 3 cans of garbanzo beans.  All the notes in the recipe are from the author, not mine but I’m giving you the recipe AS is :)

Homemade HummusHomemade Hummus (without Tahini)

3 1/2 cups of soaked, cooked, and drained garbanzo beans (preferably organic and cooked with ajwain to aid w/ digestibility added to pot: 3/4 tsp per 2 cups dried beans)
2 cloves garlic
10 Tbsp water
4 Tbsp olive oil (may substitute tahini if you prefer)
4 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (aleppo is wonderful, but hard to find)
1 1/2 tsp salt


Method:
Put all ingredients in a heavy duty blender (aka Vitamix) and/ or food processor and combine until of desired consistency.

Homemade Hummus 

A typical food processor will need approximately 4 minutes to get it really smooth. My Viking Processor takes about 1-2 minutes. Oh, do I love my food processor.

Homemade Hummus 

Serve with chips, vegetables, Focaccia Flax Bread, or even Seasoned Popcorn. Use your imagination!

Options:
- you may substitute tahini for the olive oil. My eldest has a life-threatening allergy to sesame seeds, so we do not.
- fresh ground spices are really worth it. Again, do what you are able to do.
I like to serve mine with Pita bread. Just throw it on the grill for a few minutes, it’s SO good.

Homemade Hummus 

Cut Pita bread in half, slather on some hummus and go to town. YUM!

Homemade Hummus


© 2006 - 2012 Full Bellies, Happy Kids - All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment