Friday, June 17, 2011

Orange Jelly Roll - Torta de Laranja

I think one of my favorite Portuguese Desserts is Torta de Laranja.  It's an orange flavored Jelly Roll, without any kind of filling because it's soft and moist and just amazingly delicious.

Torta de Laranja

When you see the ingredients for this dessert you'll be surprised because there's nothing gourmet or expensive or weird hidden special item, they're all pantry staples.

Torta de Laranja

One thing to keep in mind, I have been making this dessert for many years and I have yet to have one turn out perfect, I don't know if it's because it's so moist or maybe I'm not the greatest Jelly Roll roller upper LOL  OR maybe it's a combination of both.  Not that it matters, it is really delicious whatever it may look like.

This is how you make it....

In a medium bowl mix 6 eggs, 2 and 1/2 cups of sugar, zest and juice from one orange and one tablespoon flour.  That's it.  Mix all very well.

Torta de Laranja

Torta de Laranja

Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper, pour the mixture into the pan and bake at 400 degrees for about 8 to 10 minutes until the cake is golden and springs back when lightly touched.

Dust a dishtowel with sugar.  I'm using one of my favorites, it's actually from Madeira and I just love it, makes me smile everytime I see the two figures dancing having actually seen these dances up close and personal.  :)

Torta de Laranja

When cake is done invert pan onto towel, trim off the edges and then roll the cake up.  Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

Torta de Laranja

This cake is best when it's nice and cold.  Dig in and enjoy :)

Torta de Laranja

4 comments:

  1. This looks sooo decadent! I'm going to have to use rice flour, but for such a small amount it should be fine! I'm excited to try this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice flour should work too Carla, it really IS a very tiny amount :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog when googling crock-pot mac-n-cheese, and now I'm hooked on your posts. Your jelly roll looks sooo good, but I just had some chocolate pb pie so I'll put off making it for right now. ( : I'm curious about the type of flour you used?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really is delicious. I've made it several times now. The last time I added a second Tbspn of flour, just to see how that would affect it, and it actually made it easier to roll. So maybe I'll make it with 2 Tbspns going foward.

    ReplyDelete