Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef)

Yes folks, I'm totally going there today.  Why?  Because I know I can't be the only one that loves Beef Bulgogi but yet never made it because it looks intimidating.

Bulgogi

My family and I love this dish, so when the craving hit us we went down the street to this tiny little Korean Sushi Bar behind McDonald's and indulged.  But truthfully, we couldn't indulge very often because it IS pretty expensive.

Which brings me to reason #2 why you should try it yourself.  If I tell you that it uses the simplest of ingredients, you will probably laugh your head off and think that I'm just saying these things, in an attempt to lure you to the dark side.

So let's make some, let me show you just how easy this recipe is and when your family taste it, they will no doubt say what mine did "Oh my gosh, this is so good it's better than the Korean place we go to".  Makes me smile because it's SO much cheaper to make.

Bulgogi

Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef)
Credit:  Closet Cooking

Ingredients:
1 pound beef sirloin (thinly sliced)
5 cloves garlic (grated)
1 inch ginger (grated)
1 small onion (grated)
1 Korean pear (grated)
1 Fuji apple (grated)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sugar
2 green onions (chopped)
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
1. Mix everything in a freezer bag and marinate over night.
2. Cook the meat on a barbecue or in a pan on the stove.

Bulgogi

Note:  Next time I'll use light sodium soy sauce, it was just a tiny bit salty for our taste, but that's because I hardly ever use salt when cooking. I also didn't have sesame seeds on hand, but will most definitely include those too.

5 comments:

  1. OK, I am totally fascinated. I have never had this. I am going to give it a whirl next month:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love eating at the Korean BBQ because of this dish...but I have sworn off eating out for a year so I can't go. I can't wait to try this it looks so good and sounds so easy to do. I just have to figure out where to get an Asian Pear and I'm good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never had this, but you've sold me on it, totally. WIll be giving this a try for sure! It looks fantastic! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra,
    Trully i never tried this but you put me curious.It's very simple and i'll make it for sure!!

    Kisses,

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm making this for dinner! Did you peel the apple & pear?

    ReplyDelete