Thursday, September 02, 2010

Mello's Chourico

Mello's Chourico

I was recently contacted by the wonderful folks at Mello's Chourico, an online website specializing in making Portuguese specialty foods.

They wanted to know if I would be interested in trying some of their products and letting them and my readers know what I thought.

Of course, I'm always interested in trying new products but especially if they are products that I love but also have a hard time finding locally.

I'm Portuguese as you all may know, so there are a lot of products that I am used to cooking with but which unfortunately I can't find around my area, so I was thrilled to be able to get a little taste of the things I love like Chourico, Linguica and Morcela.

Mello's Chourico

First let me tell you a little bit more about Mello's Chourico.

As a family owned and operated business we take pride in the products we produce and we value our customers. Our highest quality products have made us the trusted choice for sausage products, not only in Southeastern Massachusetts, but also in the United States! We ship to any commercial establishment or residence within the continental U.S. We also export our products to businesses outside the U.S.


The products arrived via UPS, neatly packed and in an insulated box with ice, so no worries about the safety of the products at all which is always a plus for me.

I received 2 Chouricos, 2 Linguicas and 1 Morcela.

So far, I've tried both the Chourico and the Linguica and they were phenomenal, it was like being transported back in time to Portugal, the aroma, the taste, I would have to say one of the best Chourico and Linguicas I've ever tasted.

I haven't tried the Morcela yet, I will be using that one in my Feijoada (Portuguese Bean Stew) next week and will have the recipe for you here on the blog.

If you're wondering what exactly they are....

Chourico (very similar to the spanish chourizo) made with finest, leanest pork meat available and natural spices.

Linguica also made with pork and natural spices but it is cured with red wine and more paprika than the chourico.

Morcela is like a blood pudding and thereby tends to turn some people off, but believe me, it's delicious albeit made with blood, it is very similar to the spanish morcilla.

If you're looking for recipes to try these products, why not try making a delicious Bread with Chourico? Pao com Chourico is a typical Portuguese bread found in Portugal and many Portuguese homes, give it a try, I think you'll really enjoy it.

Chourico Bread

As for the Linguica, you can do the same, you can use it in the bread too, or you can make a delicious meal using Ground beef and homemade fries. It's very similar to the Carne a Braz which is a dish using meats such as pork or beef, and adding homemade fries and then scrambling a few eggs with it. It's SO good.

My family loved this dish, Ground Beef with Linguica and Fries.

Carne Picada com Linguica

I was extremely impressed with the products from Mello's Chourico and let me tell you, their prices are great, so if you're looking for traditional Portuguese Sausages, give them a try, I don't think you're be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment