Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Fish Stick Enchiladas

Did that just make you go "huh?". It's ok if it did because the first time I came upon this recipe on Marie's blog, I had the same reaction, but I also thought "oh this is different and definitely worth trying."

My kids absolutely love Fish Sticks but I'll admit it's not really one of my hubby's faves so I don't make it too often, mainly if he's deployed or working late or not here for dinner. Though I do make it at times and he eats it without complaining.

I thought I would try these on him and see what he thinks, I was hoping that taking the fish sticks out of their usual boring stick element and sprucing them up, would have a more positive effect on him. And boy, did they.

These got rave reviews from ALL of us, including not-so-thrilled-with-fish-sticks hubby.

Again, I got this recipe from The English Kitchen which is by far one of my favorite food blogs out there, you have to check out Marie's blog.

2010_08040023

*Fish Finger Enchiladas*
Makes 4
Printable Recipe

Kids will love this. Quick and easy and fairly economical. It lifts fish fingers out of the ordinary into something special!

8 frozen fish fingers
(we like cod)
295g (10 1/4 ounce) tin of condensed mushroom soup
284ml pot of sour cream (1 cup)
125g (4 ounces) cheddar cheese, grated
6 spring onions, sliced
4 soft flour tortillas
8 TBS tomato salsa
(as mild or as hot as you prefer)
more sliced spring onions to garnish

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 5. Lightly spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.

Place the fish fingers in a baking pan and cook them for about 10 minutes, turning them over halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the oven.

While they are cooking, place the soup into a small saucepan and gently heat. When heated stir in the sour cream, 3/4 of the cheese and the first amount of spring onions. Spoon 2 dessertspoons of this onto each tortilla and then lay two fish fingers on top. (Reserve at least 1/3 of the soup for the end.)Drizzle 2 TBS of the salsa over top of the fish fingers and then roll up the tortillas. Place them, seam side down, into the baking dish. Repeat with remaining fish fingers etc.

2010_08040015

Spoon the remainder of the soup over top of the rolled tortillas and sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese.

2010_08040018

Bake in the heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown. Remove from the oven, scatter with the remainder of the sliced spring onions and serve.

2010_08040020

1 comment:

  1. So glad you liked the Enchiladas Sandra! They look like they turned out very scrummy! And many thanks for your kind words about my blog! xxoo

    ReplyDelete