Sunday, March 29, 2009

Easy Cream Puffs!

A while back I saw this recipe on Bunny's Warm Oven and just knew that I had to give it a try.

I love cream puffs but I don't make them very often because of how time consuming they are, the fact that this recipe is quick and easy AND it calls for using Puff Pastry, was enough to make me put it on my list to try.

Today was the perfect day, it's been cloudy and windy and just the type of weather to make me want to get into the kitchen and bake.


Cream-filled Pastry
-Bunny's Warm Oven


PASTRY:
1 pkg. frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed per package directions

Remove the package of puff pastry from the box; take it out of the wrapper and allow it to sit on the counter @ room temperature for 20-30 minutes Carefully open one pastry sheet along the creases; place remaining sheet in the refrigerator to keep it cold (I cut the pastry when it's partially frozen-as long as I can unfold it and it doesn't tear, it's fine. The pastry seems to puff higher when it bakes if it's cold when it goes in the oven). Using a long, sharp knife, cut each strip of pastry at creases, forming 3 strips. Cut each strip widthwise into 7 pieces, slicing straight down-don't drag the knife across the pastry. Flip each cut piece over (to place the side you cut on down onto the sheet). Place on lightly greased baking sheets, leaving room between each piece. Repeat with remaining sheet of pastry. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack and cool completely. Using a serrated knife, slice through the center to make top and bottom halves.


CREAM FILLING:
1 c. whole milk
5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. butter or margarine, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Place flour in a small saucepan; slowly whisk in milk. Cook and whisk constantly over low heat until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from heat; place mixture into a small bowl. Cover bowl with a paper towel and cool to room temperature.
Place cooled mixture in bowl of electric mixer; beat until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients, one at a time, and continue beating on medium-high speed for 5-10 minutes or until light and fluffy (I use my KitchenAid mixer-I start with the paddle, then when all the ingredients are very well mixed, I switch to the whisk attachment and let that do the rest of the work). The mixture should look like a whipped cream type frosting. I rub a little of it between my fingers to make sure the sugar has totally dissolved. Spread about 1 Tbsp. of filling on bottom half of each pastry; replace tops. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 42 pastries.

5 comments:

  1. I love to make cream puffs too!! They are so extensive tho, so I do the same thing and just make them for special occassions... these are so simple! It's one of those recipes that I wish I had thought of...doh! Love that pastry puff!!

    Hugs.. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again you have my taste buds tingling Sandra!! Love the new look here as well! Very appetizing colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man Sandra cream puffs yummy!! The blog looks great too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came by way of Heidi @Sacred and Profane..what a great list of meals and treats!

    and this one looks soooo tempting to me as I'm not a cake/ice cream kinda girl..but pastry make my knees knock!

    Great posting great blog! Thanks for sharing all of it!

    I'm making the Curry ck today!

    ReplyDelete